A new normal…

2018-08-13T15:42:24+00:00 June 15th, 2018|Food|

First of all…an overdue thank you to everyone who reached out through email or social media wishing me well with…you know…not being a full time tv anchor anymore. See? I can’t even write the word retirement! Not sure why that is….maybe it makes me feel old, or or that I’ve retired from what, life? I’m still working, just not on a TV set. And I will be the first to admit, that takes some getting used to. Whenever you leave behind what was an integral part of your life, there is a sense of loss. I do feel that. You were THAT, but you’re not anymore. So I’m slowly getting over the feeling that I have to carve out a new identity for myself…because really, I don’t.

Lots of people have asked  how is it? What are you doing? The short answer is…not working a full time stressful job is good, really. I miss the people but not the job.

I’ve been gone more than I’ve been at home… First to Cashiers in the NC mountains-that’s me on the screened porch of the Mountain House(the ONLY picture I was able to upload for unknown reasons)..Lots of family flooded in over Memorial Day, leaving a few days later in an equal whirlwind. They left behind windows with lots of knee level stick fingerprints, a ton of laundry and a refrigerator full of leftovers (I happen to love leftovers)! But I wouldn’t trade that time for anything.

Then it was on to Alabama for a cousins reunion at Smith Land. Girl cousins, wives of boy cousins, and my sisters all swimming, eating, laughing, declaring a no-bra zone, and hearing some old  family stories…many of which I’ve heard a hundred times,  and some I had never known. Most were funny, but some quite poignant and even heartbreaking. Families are nothing if not complicated, and I’m sure you all know exactly what I mean.

Add in a trip to Tilghman Island on Maryland’s gorgeous Eastern Shore, with two friends who I’ve known since I first moved to Baltimore…and that was a while ago…..and I leave again tonight. And to really gum up the works, I’m doing this blog on a fancy new laptop (as my daughter wisely pointed out-lessons) which I cannot seem to command at will, thus the lack of pictures. But I shall prevail, but wanted to send this out now to say…I’M ALIVE AND WELL!  Hope all of  you are are as well…be in touch soon! Don’t be a stranger!

16 Comments

1. Mary Martin June 28, 2018 at 11:32 am - Reply

Still miss you a bunch on the newscasts but happy that you’re ble now to enjoy friends nd family, and travel, and some of the other joys you didn’t have time for before.

• Donna June 28, 2018 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Thanks Mary…I can’t say I miss the work, but I do miss the guys I worked with, and have some fond and crazymemories of it. Onward and upward right?

• Donna June 28, 2018 at 1:05 pm - Reply

Gracias Mary!

2. Jessica June 28, 2018 at 11:48 am - Reply

Congratulations!

• Donna June 28, 2018 at 12:48 pm - Reply

❤️❤️❤️

3. Amy Perlow June 28, 2018 at 12:23 pm - Reply

I so can relate to you! Although not a work situation, but, a life changing event. As a lifelong horse rider, I fell and broke my back, sold my horse and left horses behind. I also left my identity behind as well as riding friends and barn life. It is so hard to say, “I used to ride.” I’ve thrown myself into new hobbies,but, always missing my equestrian life. Today I went on a trail ride (walking only) and felt like “my old self” for a few hours. Change is hard, I am enjoying seeing your mountain home. Maybe one day my husband and I will rent it😀 Assuming my Golden Retriever can come!

• Donna June 28, 2018 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Well Amy, you’ve overcome obstacles I have never faced, but whatever they are…the feelings are often the same, I think. Even when a change is good, it’s still a new normal that has to be accommodated.
      And of course your puppy can come…Cashiers is a dog loving town! ❤️

4. Sandy Oxx June 28, 2018 at 8:37 pm - Reply

I’m retiring tomorrow after 21 years running the Carroll Arts Center. I’m TERRIFIED so please keep posting good things about life after retirement. We miss you on the air.

• Donna June 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm - Reply

OK, I’m gonna go out there on a limb and say what you’re interpreting as terror is really unease. And Im uneasy with change as the next person. But I really think you’ll figure it out. It’s like when my daughter went away to school….I thought what will I do when she’s not here. And it was fine..different of course, but other things filled that void…good things! Chin up and let me know how it goes. We’d all love to hear…

5. Melinda Mele June 29, 2018 at 8:40 am - Reply

Yes, Donna. You don’t have to redefine yourself; you’ll just be adding definition. And I’m so glad we get to hear more from your personal voice. You talked and talked for so many years, but always pointed at a topic of import or interest in the general world. Of course your lovely self always shone through, but now we get to hear about what interests you as a human. I’m sure we will be much the richer for it.

• Donna June 30, 2018 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Yes, I have certainly talked and talked and talked!!! You’d think I was all talked out, but not…and I while I doubt anyone will be richer for it, I look forward to the discourse!!

6. Debbie Urie June 29, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

Let me know when you will be back in the mountains. We are traveling there today.

7. Venton (Vinnie) Blandin June 30, 2018 at 11:22 pm - Reply

Proud of you, my friend. This is your season. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Be in the present. Detox!

Love ya, Vinnie

8. Chrissy Rhodes July 1, 2018 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Sure do miss seeing you Donna. I am so glad you are enjoying your retirement from TV. I am sure you are staying busy with your new ventures. Hopefully we will see you soon. 🙂

9. Bob Merritt July 5, 2018 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Donna,
    I have been retired for 7 years,
    Love every minute of it and you will to.
    My wife and always looked forward to your news broadcasts on channel 11.
    There are a million things I could say about retirement but here is one:
    Everyday is a Saturday!!
    Regards,
    Bob and Nancy

• Donna July 5, 2018 at 1:22 pm - Reply

Ha!! That’s a perfect way to look at it Bob…thanks for stopping by!